Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I do....

This Saturday I had the pleasure of not only attending my close pal’s wedding but being the matron of honour (bustling around with 3 brats! ) . It was a lovely wedding and as l looked at the two lovebirds dancing away with their arms holding each other tightly and eyes locked in a gaze full of love, I thought about the word ‘I do’

I do... agree to wake up each morning with you by my side. On those days when am thrilled that its me you chose and no one else... and also on those days when I wish you could disappear into thin air!

I do... agree to succumb to you as my wife/husband. Especially when you are making sound decisions for our future…but the times when I think you are a nut I shall surely ask for strength from above!

I do agree to have your children. In my hopes that you will be there during their rearing.

I do agree to be with you in sickness and in health... hoping that you shall do likewise for me

I do agree to stand with you in riches and poverty! Praying fervently that we shall face riches… and that despite the elements that life shall throw at us... we shall stand as one.

I do agree to call your mother ‘mum’ knowing that she might just decide to give me hell on earth! Or surprise me by becoming ‘mother-in-love’

I do agree to your pet peeves, the things that drew me to you and continuously remember to compromise on your faults…. As am sure you did for me.

I do agree to be your companion for life. In the hopes that we shall be together in this journey called life.

Lastly I do agree to give you the strength to see me at my worst and best, to know me beyond anybody else. To be vulnerable before you…. To struggle with pride and ego hoping that the soundness of our union will win the day.

5 comments:

Όstalgia said...

beautiful..

Anonymous said...

Very wise. If only people took their vows to heart in the manner you described. Excellent post.

Jenn said...

Ostalgia,
I think that its about time that we expressed our expectations on marriage whilst embracing the fact that their shall be bad times too.


aegeus,
our society is ridden with people who idolise comfort and have no grasp of what committment is. Maybe its time we had a long chat with our folks and ask them how and why they have stuck together for this long?

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful, i wish all couples had the will and strength to look at vows for what they are!

You should marriage counselling as a part time thingie, what say you?

Jenn said...

Mel,

Marriage counselling is something i wish to get into after being married for 20+ years...